Thursday, November 24, 2011

Autumnal landscapes


With leaves dropping from deciduous trees in the autumn is the creation of urban landscapes demanding the maintenance of leaf removal.  Recently I have been observing more landscaping contractors wearing face masks while performing similar tasks of moving landscaping debris.  How many hours a week does a landscaper use a leaf blower to do this repetitive task in different places?

What happens to the health of the worker 30 years from now?  What are the long-term health costs connected with type of job?  Why is the leaf blower the basic tool for the landscaping contractor?  Why is that we can't create landscapes needing minimal or a different kind of maintenance?

Where I reside, in general the gardens of my neighbors tend to be maintained in this manner, by being blown-out every 7 days.  What I find bothersome is the widespread acceptance of this type of maintenance.  The contractors do not understand why I can't get with the program!  I give thanks today...Thanksgiving is a holiday from the usual sounds of landscaping activity.








No comments:

Post a Comment