Friday, November 18, 2011

"So what do you walk?"

Small talking with a random fellow the other night, I told him that I know his street and neighborhood by walking through it every so often.  He asked me, "So what do you walk?"  When I looked at him quizzically, he continued with his query.  "What kind of DOG do you walk?"

Conversation continues...he says that I can identify him on the street by the fact that he'll be walking a golden lab, and his wife has red hair.  He remains nameless; obviously, it doesn't matter.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, the hazards of a verb that can be both transitive and intransitive:

    "I walk through the neighborhood" (intr.)
    versus
    "I walk a dog through the neighborhood" (tr.)

    Amazing how such a simple word can lead to a failure to communicate.

    ReplyDelete