Saturday, November 19, 2011

Weight loss with a Kindle

Where I sit in my house right now, the view is to a mutable sky to the west where rainclouds are dispersing with a bright blue sky sometimes being revealed.  During the night, rain did fall.   I sit here thinking about Charlotte walking and kindling.  Last night when John and I were walking in the darkness, I mentioned that she's been on my mind, knowing how she walks daily on our street and throughout the town as part of her ritual.  One night we waited for her to pass the end of our driveway so that we could drive inward.  In the darkness the light of her Kindle was her torch.

A few months ago on an early Wednesday morning when I finished pushing the waste cans into position with wheels to the curb, I turned around to see her walking toward me.  I introduced myself to her.  She wanted to know whether I had seen the friendly big white cat.  I said, "You mean Pickles?"  Yes, Pickles is definitely around and about patroling the neighborhood.  

After introducing herself, Charlotte mentioned how she's lost 140 pounds, and how her friends think that she's too thin, and how they don't understand why she does what she does with the walking.   I responded with, "Keep it up.  Stay focussed.  Chances are that they're jealous of your accomplishment."

Earlier on her walk, the police had stopped her in order to warn her about a bear sighting over at the canyon to the west, that for her to be careful with her walking patterns.  I thanked her for the information, then relating that the bears are resident in my neighborhood also.  Chances are that the bears and the other animals know full well about her patterns.

She steps with confidence, looking downward, lost in her world.  At our next encounter, I'll tell her about what I've written, and ask her what she's been reading lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment